Friday, November 10, 2017

It has been a while...

   Hello blog viewers of the world! It has been a while but here is a tidbit to liven up your day. enjoy!

      In my time as both a reader and writer my readings have led me to many fanciful stories. I have observed that one of the most famous of these oddly amusing stories, Lewis Carroll's (or rather Charles Dodgeson's, Lewis Carroll was his pen-name) "Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There" pulls me back to itself rather often (for simplicity's sake we will refer to this book as Looking Glass and to its precursor as Wonderland). What is it about this nonsensical book and its companion novel that makes me keep coming back? By taking a cursory look at these books and their collective author I hope to answer this question.
 
      Firstly we will cast our inquiries towards the author of Looking Glass; looking primarily for the various sources of inspiration that caused him to write such unconventional works of literature. A good amount of speculators think that Dodgeson's books were largely inspired by drug induced states of mind. However, we know that Dodgeson was a deeply religious man from his youth up, going on to become a deacon at the prestigious Oxford college, Christ's Church. The idea of him using mind altering drugs for inspiration in his writings seems hardly probable in light of this fact. Still others will hypothesize that he suffered from a form of migraine that has since been named after Wonderland due to the fact that it causes its victims to see things as larger or smaller than they really are, a common plot device in the Alice books. Though we do know that Dodgeson did suffer from migraine, we have no conclusive evidence that his particular strain was Alice in Wonderland syndrome; thus this theory will have to remain just that, a theory. What we do know for certain is that Charles Lutwidge Dodgeson grew up in a large family of 9 children. As a member of a family of 11 children, I know full well the impact that many siblings has on ones imagination and literary leanings. I probably have a couple dozen stories in the Alice tradition floating in my head just from the crazy tales I used to concoct with my siblings as a child. One also has to note that Dodgeson spent a large amount of his time with various persons noted for their fantastical writings or imaginations. High among these ranks George Macdonald, a man well known at the time for his fantasy stories. In fact, George Macdonald's stories were a large source of inspiration for both C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien in their fantasy writings. Thus, the idea that Dodgeson's friendship with this fairystruck man played a large part in his writings, is by no means a stretch of the imagination. Dodgeson also was fond of spending time with small children; indeed we are told that Wonderland was originally a story for the child of one of Dodgeson's friends. As we know, small children have a way of turning the simplest of things into grand (or sometimes downright frightening) adventures of imagination and fancy. Dodgeson may have just been drawing on his inner child in order to please his many small friends. I know that I often do similar things. Yet another facet to Dodgeson that is hardly ever remembered is that of his mathematical genius. Indeed he taught math for many years at Christ Church and wrote several books on the subject. As a man who saw the world in the form of an ever changing array of mathematical logic puzzles, Dodgeson undoubtedly had a sort of kaleidoscopic view of things that is hard for many of us non-mathematicians to understand. Whether this influenced his writings in any significant manner is hard to tell. We do see scenes such as the chess board in Looking glass that seem to display this mathematical tendency. I will leave it up to you to decide if there is any correlation there. Looking at Dodgeson's many traits, I notice that I share quite a few of these curious traits with him. Perhaps that explains why I love the Alice books so much.
 
     As regards the nature of the books themselves there are several factors that I find particularly intriguing. Firstly there is a prevailing sense of unknown coupled with an exploration of said unknown. I have a love hate relationship with movies and books that follow this pattern of never-ending, surreal, uncharted depths of artistic expression. One feels that there should never be a conclusive end to such things, and the more strange and beautiful these stories and landscapes get, the more you want to keep on going. On the other hand, I often feel that with out an end to the story we never get the fulfillment the journey was about reaching. Due to the dreamlike quality of both Alice books I often find myself wondering if there was more somehow hidden away in those pages that I might have missed. Realistically, I know that this feeling is unfounded, yet I desperately want there to be more. One day perhaps I will attempt to draw the Alice adventures, and perhaps stray away from the written story to let my pen explore some more of this unknown world. Due to my own upbringing in a relatively large family and the consequentially large amount of time I spend with small children on a daily basis, I feel that my imagination has been uniquely centered in the proper tracks for such imaginative flights of fantasy. The vast amount of literature that I consume also helps provide me with a connecting point to these two often misunderstood stories. Yet another point in these books favor for me is the fact that they are often misunderstood. I enjoy things that puzzle others, or simply would not interest them at all. I like taking the time to search these cracked gems for meaning. Where others see a disorganized mess, I see a maze of mystery to be explored. One example of the common mindset on these books is demonstrated by the following situation. When I ask someone what their favorite part of Wonderland is, often they will answer with a story that in fact actually originates from Looking Glass. Among the more well known of these misplaced stories we find: Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum (Whose story frames another often misplaced story, The Walrus and the Carpenter), The Garden of Live Flowers, and The Unbirthday Party (and it is Humpty Dumpty who celebrates, not the Mad Hatter). These common misconceptions are largely inspired by Disney's 1951 Alice in Wonderland. People watch this 60 year old movie, that was made about a 100 years after the book was written and assume that they know the whole story. Reading the book and finding these things for themselves seems to be a foreign concept to them. As for the more recent live action film adaptations of the books, well lets just say that they have the same characters as the books, but there is hardly anything else in common. Perhaps I do not give the general public enough credit as regards their knowledge of such "trivial" things. Still, I feel that far too many people never take the time to read these books just because they are strange and a little off the easy to read beaten path. Through this lack of interest they miss out on some of the more enjoyable oddities that are to be found in life. Do I like these books just because they are weird? Honestly, I am not sure. Whatever the case, I will continue reading them for years to come; safe in the knowledge that despite others lack of interest in such things, I can still find comfort in a warm cup of coffee or cocoa, a book of questionable sanity, and a big fluffy chair to sit in. 

No white rabbits were harmed in the making of this post. A few oysters might have been eaten though....

No comments:

Post a Comment